"My Life Through A Lens"
People from different cultures express and celebrate their cultural identity in many ways, including:
- Dance - some cultures have a traditional dance that many in that culture learn and demonstrate at events as an expression of their cultural identity
- Music - Many cultures have their own style of music that is particular to that culture. They use musical instruments associated with that culture and they use music as an expression of their cultural identity.
- Language - people from different cultural backgrounds may use language and the way they communicate with others as a way of expressing their cultural identity.
- Dress/Clothes - some cultures have a traditional dress. Sometimes this traditional dress is worn every day or sometimes it is worn on special occasions, depending on the culture. People can express their cultural identity by wearing their traditional dress.
- Diet - some cultures have a traditional cuisine. People express their cultural identity by preparing food in a particular way or by refusing to eat certain foods or by eating foods on a given day of the week or at a special occasion.
- Religion - many cultures have religious beliefs and practices that are particular to the culture. People express their cultural identity by participating in their religious practices and customs.
- Celebrations/festivals - many cultures have celebrations or festivals that are specifically associated with that culture. Through these festivals or celebrations, people express their cultural identity as their traditional music will be playing and people will be dressed in traditional dress.
- Sport - some cultures enjoy sports that are associated with that culture. People can express their cultural identity by participating sports. dancing their traditional dance.
Photo by Darya Sannikova: https://www.pexels.com/photo/man-drawing-on-floor-2927599/
You are enccouraged to complete the 'Task Worksheet' in the resources section. The worksheet will go through 10 ways we can express our cultural identity, you will be required to describe under each heading your interpretation of each area. You can do this by describing it and or by including a photograph or images or symbols.
You are encouraged to look in the resources section and look at the link titled What is Cultural Identity and Why is it Important? and also watch the two videos included in the video section. These resorces are there to aid you in thinking what is culture and why it is important to us and how we can express our interest, beliefs and values so that others can understand us better.
In the resources publication section you will find the worksheet which you need to work on directly. The worksheet will go through 10 ways we can express our cultural identity, you will be required to describe under each heading your interpretation of each area. You can do this by describing it and or by including a photograph or images or symbols.
Remember cultural identity is negotiated, co-created and reinforced in communication with others when we socially interact. They are manifestations of social reality – reflect on our unique personal life history and experience. Forming a cultural identity involves making choices about the cultures one identifies with and deciding to join the cultural community to which one belongs. Beliefs and practices of one or more communities can also be adapted. It is possible for members of dominant or majority culture adopting elements of minority culture like dressing or music. Every individual belongs to numerous overlapping and non-overlapping cultural and sub-cultural groups. Therefore he or she has different identities at different levels that make up his or her cultural identity.
As community mediators, understanding culture is our business. No matter where you live, you are working with and establishing relationships with people--people who all have cultures.
- Learning about other cultures is an interesting way to challenge your thought processes and expand the way you process information.
- Learning about other cultures allows you to move outside your own bubble, and find new ways of thinking, and new ways of approaching problems.
- In today’s techno-savvy times, the world is rapidly becoming smaller. There are high chances that you will encounter people with varying cultures. You’ll need to master the art of understanding cultural diversity.
- Promotes personal growth while enabling you to learn new things about your culture.
- Engaging in multicultural experiences allows you to participate in new activities, taste new food, and experience a vast range of things away from your comfort zone.
- Enhance ability to interact with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Understanding different cultures enhance communication in varying ways. For instance, culture can influence speaking tendencies such as; figurative language, speed, and presentation.
- Well rounded view of the world.
- The world comprises people with diverse cultures. Where possible, being exposed to different cultures helps you embrace and appreciate people that are different from you.